Email marketing: while it sounds incredibly basic, it’s still one of the best tools around for marketing. With businesses enjoying a $40 for every $1 spent on email marketing, the return on investment is too big to ignore, especially since new customer acquisition through email had quadrupled in the last few years.
So, hopefully that was enough to convince you. No? Well, check out the why you need to start working on your email marketing first...and then come back to us.
So now that you’re on board with coming up with a good strategy for email marketing, let’s get down to some best practices to employ:
- Putting Together Your Email List: Building an email list can seem daunting but here are a few tips to getting started: encourage in-store signups, share signup info on your printed collateral, include a signup form on your business website, link your signup form from your email signatures, and take advantage of social to drive your signups. Pro tip: A foolproof, way to collect email addresses is to request them upon every appointment booked and use it to send out confirmation emails. Check here for a deeper dive into building your email list.
- Opting In: Make sure you’re always giving your customers the option to opt-in or opt-out of any email updates that you’re looking to send out. The last thing you want to do is spam your customers.
- Clever Subject Line: 64% of people say they open an email because of the subject line. This means, you’ve got to make it good. When you’re spending your valuable time crafting an email, you don’t want it to go to waste just because you failed to give attention to the subject line. Make it concise, snappy, and feel free to play around with emojis.
- Give Them Something to Read: Providing actual value is incredibly important when it comes to sending out emails for your business. You want to keep your customers engaged and a great way to do that is to provide them with something interesting to read -- this can include industry advice, news, and of course, all of your specials and promotions.
- Always Test it Out: As with all other forms of communication, make sure you’re testing out all the emails you’re sending out. The last thing you want to be caught doing is sending out “Check Out Our TREE Offers of the Weak!” when you really meant...well, i’m sure you can figure it out!